Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife/FRANKFORT, KY: The dates are now set for the 2018 annual waterfowl blind drawings for Doug Travis, Lake Barkley, Barren River Lake, Green River Lake and Sloughs wildlife management areas (WMAs).
- Doug Travis WMA, Carlisle and Hickman counties: 10 a.m. (Central Time), Saturday, Aug. 25. The drawing will be at the WMA office, one-half mile south of Berkley on KY 123. Registration begins at 9 a.m.
- Lake Barkley WMA, Trigg and Lyon counties: 8 a.m. (Central Time), Monday, Sept. 17. The drawing will be at the shelter on the east side of the Cumberland River at Lake Barkley Dam, off U.S. 62 near Lake City. Participants should use the powerhouse entrance, then turn right toward the drawing location.
- Sloughs WMA, Henderson and Union counties: 7 p.m. (Central Time), Tuesday, Sept. 25. The drawing will be at Union County Middle School off U.S. 60 West in Morganfield. Registration begins at 6 p.m.
- Green River Lake WMA, Taylor and Adair counties: 10 a.m. (Eastern Time), Saturday, Sept. 29. The drawing will be at the Green River Lake U.S. Army Corps of Engineers office, off KY 55 approximately seven miles south of Campbellsville. Registration begins at 9 a.m.
- Barren River Lake WMA: Allen and Barren counties, 7 – 9 a.m. (Central Time), Saturday, Oct. 6. The drawing will be at the Barren River Lake Corps of Engineers office, at the Barren River Lake dam off KY 252.
The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources provides a variety of waterfowl hunting opportunities on wildlife management areas. These opportunities include quota hunts, daily drawings, walk-in areas and seasonally drawn blinds.
Seasonally drawn blinds ensure waterfowl hunters selected will have a place to hunt during the entire waterfowl season. The drawings for these seasonally drawn blinds take place well before the season to allow hunters time to build blinds and make all necessary plans for the season. Hunters chosen in these random drawings have first rights to these waterfowl blind sites, but if the blinds are not used by the drawn hunters they may be occupied by any hunter.
Hunters interested in participating in the waterfowl blind drawing must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid Kentucky hunting license, a Kentucky migratory game bird/waterfowl hunting permit and a federal migratory bird permit (also known as a duck stamp) at the time of the drawing. A hunter education card is also required of any participant born after Jan. 1, 1975.
Hunters interested in participating in these drawings must also have their Harvest Information Program (HIP) confirmation number prior to the drawing. To get a confirmation number, hunters must visit the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife website at fw.ky.gov. Internet access is available at public libraries for those who do not have it.
To receive a HIP confirmation number, hunters must click the “My Profile” tab on the department’s website and answer a few questions. This confirmation number provided at the completion of the survey must be written on the hunting license or Kentucky Migratory Game Bird-Waterfowl Hunting permit.
Hunters drawn for blinds on Doug Travis, Lake Barkley, Green River Lake, Barren River Lake or Sloughs WMAs must locate, prepare and maintain the blind site for the duration of the 2018-2019 waterfowl seasons. Each drawn hunter may select a co-owner of the blind site for use in the absence of the hunter drawn. The co-owner must be present at the drawing.
Hunters may construct a permanent blind or use a boat or portable blind, but each blind site must be pinned with a permanent marker identifying permit holders for the site. Those hunters selected hold first rights for use of the blind site, but these blind sites are open to public use if the selected hunters are not in the blinds by 30 minutes before shooting time.
If you are interested in area accommodations during hunting season, visit the Livingston County Lodging page here.